OF THE GLEN ROCK POLICE DEPARTMENT
To view the Roster of All Police Officers who Served, & Still Serve, the Community please click here: All Time Police Roster
The Glen Rock Police Department was established in 1918 to
provide full time law enforcement services to the Borough of Glen
Rock, located in northwest Bergen County, New Jersey. At the time
of the department’s inception, Glen Rock was a small agrarian
community of approximately 4,000 people.
Between 1894 and 1918, part-time "Marshals" were hired by the community to provide law enforcement services. Often referred to as policemen, these marshals had no training and were issued only a handgun, nightstick and badge. They were called to duty as needed and were paid for any arrests they made. The Chief Marshal was Martin A. Jensen. On September 1, 1918, the Glen Rock Police Department was formed with the appointment of its first full time police officer, James R. Houlihan. A former Village of Ridgewood, NJ policeman, Mr. Houlihan was named as Chief of Police and patrolled Glen Rock on a bicycle. He also used trained police dogs to locate missing persons and deter crime, a concept the department re-instituted in between 1993 and 2000, with the creation of a modern police canine unit staffed by then P.O. Eric Reamy and K-9 Cezar.
The first police car was purchased in 1923, assisting the
officers who patrolled the borough on foot and on Motorcycle. At
that time, no police radios existed, and officers communicated by
using telephone "call boxes" which were located at
various points throughout the town. By 1928 the department had
grown and now included seven officers. This number would remain
constant through the 1940’s.
Shortly after the beginning of World War II, a volunteer
auxiliary police force was established to augment the full time
police department. The
Glen Rock Auxiliary Police acted as additional eyes and ears for
the police. These auxiliary officers provided the borough with
secondary patrols, and were available for emergencies, disasters,
and public events requiring crowd and traffic control. Many of
those who served as Auxiliary Police Officers went on to become
full-time Police Officers both locally as far away as Mesa
Arizona. Due to ever increasing training requirements, which were
in many cases equal to that of regular officers, the auxiliary
police program ended in 2012.
Following the Second World War, Glen Rock began to see many changes. Located approximately twenty minutes away from of New York City, and near the city of Paterson, Glen Rock was fast becoming a suburban residential community. Today, Glen Rock's 2.8 square miles are populated by approximately 12,000 residents and includes numerous business establishments. The community is a pleasant mixture of single family residences, town houses and light industry. The town is also home to a vibrant central business district; several strip malls, two high volume commuter railroad lines, a highly rated public school system, several park areas, and a number of different religious institutions, including an Indian Sikh temple.
As Glen Rock
grew and changed, so did its police department. In 1946 a two-way radio system was installed in police headquarters as well as the department’s patrol cars. This
dramatically increased the police response time to the growing
number of calls being received each year. As the day-to-day needs
and problems of the community increased, so did the demands placed
upon the police force. Increased training, additional manpower and
better equipment soon became necessary. During the 1950’s,
society began to recognize the need for specialized police
training and Glen Rock police officers began attending formal
programs conducted by the FBI, State of New Jersey, and Bergen
County. This type of formal training became mandatory for all
police officers throughout New Jersey in the 1960’s, and during
the next decade officers began seeking college degrees in criminal
justice, public administration and psychology. Today, anyone
wishing to become a Glen Rock police officer is required to have a
Throughout the 1950's, 60's, and 70's, manpower and equipment
began to improve. More police vehicles were purchased and new
lifesaving equipment accompanied officers on patrol for the first
time. During the 70's, the department grew to twenty-six sworn,
full-time police officers. Radar equipment for speed enforcement,
and hand held portable radios for more effective communications
were placed into service. In 1984, Glen Rock was one of the first
police departments in Bergen County to issue semi-automatic 9mm
handguns to its officers. In 1995, duty side-arms were upgraded to
.40 caliber auto-pistols, a weapon that since has become a
standard among law enforcement agencies. Glen Rock Police Officers
currently carry Glock model 23 .40 calibers semi-automatic hand
information system technology began to emerge during the 1970's,
the Glen Rock Police became involved in a countywide movement
aimed at computerizing criminal records as part of a larger
federal program. During the late 1980's, an in-house computer
based record-keeping system was implemented. This concept
continues today, with officers from the department’s Information
Technology division, who have aided in both design and maintenance
of our current local and wide-area network systems. In April of
2002 the Department replaced its long outdated MDT, in-car
computer system and purchased Mobile Data Computers. In later
years these computers were upgraded to rugged lap-top terminals.
This state-of-the-art system placed the department at the
forefront of the technology curve. The specialized, touch screen
computers allows officers on patrol instant access to FBI criminal
and wanted person files, as well as several other state and
countywide law enforcement databases, including New Jersey motor
vehicle records. This system has resulted in the detention of
numerous wanted persons and other violators found on the streets
in our community. Today all police vehicles assigned to
routine patrol functions are equipped with Mobile Data Computers
in the form of Panasonic “Tough Books”.
Officers on patrol are able to write most basic reports in
their cars and submit them over a wireless network, thus keeping
them on the street where they are needed.
Even Traffic Summonses can now be generated electronically
and immediately transferred to the Municipal Court directly from
the patrol car. Officers in the field also have the ability to
search the department’s in-house data base for local alerts,
premise histories, prior reports and field contacts instantly from
their cars. They can also communicate with and transfer
information to other officers and agencies throughout the region.
Currently, the Glen Rock Police Department consists of twenty-one
full-time police officers, one parking enforcement officer and two
part-time police administrative aids who maintain the police
records and reception desk during limited hours Monday to
Saturday. Sworn police personnel are divided into two
divisions, consisting of a patrol
section and a detective
bureau. The command staff presently includes the Chief
of police and one Captain. There are five patrol Sergeants, one
Detective Sergeant and one Detective. Several of our officers also
provide specialized services including, traffic safety, juvenile
officer, domestic violence investigation, law enforcement
car seat technicians, computer and information technology
services, records management, as well as firearms training and
radar instruction, in addition to their normal patrol assignments.
Several officers have been certified in “train-the-trainer”
programs allowing the department to expand the use of in-house
training during regular working hours.
In 1994 the Glen Rock Police Department closed down an antiquated
police dispatch desk and moved Police dispatch and 911 services to
a regional dispatch center, the NorthWest
Bergen Central Dispatch located in Ridgewood, NJ. This
center is the primary point of contact for all emergency and
non-emergency calls to Glen Rock’s public safety services.
(Left) G.R.P.D Inspection Detail (Right) P.O. Frank Bodi and Capt. Tony Ciaramella at the police desk
In January 1999, the department instituted an enhanced emergency
medical program under which all members of the patrol force were
trained in the use of portable cardiac defibrillation units known
as AED’s. These units were obtained through a project developed
by the Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack, NJ, and
are used by trained personnel to start the heartbeat of a person
suffering from cardiac arrest.
Today many of the Glen Rock Police Officers on patrol are
also certified as Emergency Medical Technicians (E.M.T.’s), one
officer is also a fully certified paramedic.
Having out grown its former substandard facility at old Borough
Hall, Glen Rock Police Department, along with other Borough
Offices, moved into a temporary Police Headquarters at 175 Rock
Road behind the CVS in 2007. The
department operated out of this location until January of 2010
when operations were moved back to a newly renovated and
state-of-the-art police facility at the Harding Plaza Municipal
In 2011 the department’s Motor Cycle Unit was
The department currently has two motorcycles, which get
about 40 miles to the gallon and are equipped to respond to all
calls handled by patrol cars. In addition to the standard police
radio, the unit is equipped with a radar unit, e-ticket printer,
oxygen, defibrillator, first aid gear, flares, police line tape
and flashlight. It is outfitted with a siren and all required
emergency lighting as well as a laptop computers similar to those
used in borough police cars but designed for use on police
motorcycles. The motor cycles are on patrol 12 months a year
except during extreme weather conditions.
The Glen Rock Police Department receives approximately 1300-1400 calls-for-service each month. Routine calls involve a police response to a wide range of incidents, and may include crimes such as burglary, theft, fraud, domestic violence, drug and alcohol offenses, disputes, as well as trauma and medical problems, motor vehicle accidents, or public disturbances. While the primary mission of the Glen Rock Police Department is to protect life, property, detect crime and apprehend violators of the law, a substantial portion of our time is also devoted to those quality-of-life issues which are important to our citizenry, such as traffic safety and community-oriented police services. Much like the rest of the nation, Glen Rock experienced a reduction in crime during the 1990’s through the turn of the century; the officers of the Glen Rock Police Department have worked toward the continuance of this trend through proactive patrol functions. In the post 9/11 world the department has also joined the rest of the law enforcement community in response to homeland security issues. This response has included upgrades in training and equipment and patrol practices. Following numerous tragedies throughout the nation the department has also increased its role in working with the Board of Education to increase security in our Borough Schools. In keeping with the ever changing demands of the 21st Century, we have dedicated ourselves to assisting and supporting the community, and to keeping the Borough of Glen Rock a great place to live and work.
History compiled by Sgt. Dean Ackermann
LIEUTENANT PAUL BALCH HONORED
From L to R (Lt. Paul Balch, Chief Frederick Stahman, Captain Jonathan Miller)
The borough council Wednesday paid homage to retiring Glen Rock Auxiliary Police Lt. Paul Balch for serving 55 years in that organization. Balch received a citation during a ceremony which included a large contingent of the police department, including Chief Fred Stahman, Captain Jonathan Miller, approximately 15 officers and two officials from the Glen Rock Office of Emergency Management, which uses auxiliary police for certain functions. Others on hand included retired police chief Neil Finn and a representative for Congressman Scott Garrett.
In addition to recognizing Balch's local volunteerism, borough officials thanked him for dedicating 70 years to serving his country and local law enforcement. Balch joined the U.S. Army Air Corps — a forerunner of the Air Force — on Dec. 8, 1941, one day after the attack on Pearl Harbor triggered America’s entrance into World War II. Upon returning home, the retired lieutenant also served the Massachusetts Auxiliary Police. In 1955, he moved to Glen Rock and started volunteering for the local organization.
"I just hope everyone heard that number," said Councilman Michael O'Hagan, public safety committee chairman. "Fifty-five years of service [in Glen Rock]. That's incredible." The governing body read the citation — with each of the seven members reading parts of it, before all joined together to read the final passage. "I'd like to thank you, once again, for your many years of service and for being part of an organization that saved the world," Mayor John van Keuren said. "Thank you very much for your time."
Miller, the department's second senior officer, recalled the privilege of knowing Balch his entire tenure. "I've known him for many, many years," the captain told the audience, generating a few laughs when he said, "It was a pleasure working with you when I was young." Stahman presented a replica of Balch's lieutenant's badge, citing the traditional ceremony for all retiring officers "as one of the biggest honors" they can receive. "So Paul, congratulations to you and display that very proudly," Stahman said. "Thank you for your service."
Finn called Balch, joined at the ceremony by his wife, "one of the finest members of the borough's auxiliary police." During Balch's long tenure, Finn recalled, the auxiliary officer usually asked only two simple questions relative to any assignment: "'Where do you need me?' 'What do you want done?' That's all we needed to hear." "He would deliberately avoid using the word 'I,' whenever it was in reference to who was supposed to be in charge," Finn said. "It was always the word, 'we.'"
The modest Balch chose to offer only brief concluding remarks when the mayor invited him to address the audience. "There's been … a lot of great times - both [with] regulars and auxiliary [officers] and also the fire department," he said. "Again, thank you very much for coming tonight."
Glen Rock Police Department Welcomes Four New Auxiliary Officers
2008 Graduates of the Bergen County Auxiliary Police Academy
Left to Right: Sgt. Robert Wojtecki, A.P.O. Robert Boncore, A.P.O. Atalay Akat, Sr. A.P.O. Ryan Zakrzewski, A.P.O. Thomas Hursthouse, A.P.O. Christopher Schmitt, Chief Steven D. Cherry.
The Glen Rock Police Department would like to welcome four new auxiliary police officers. They completed a eight week academy at the Bergen County Law and Public Safety Institute in Mahwah where they were educated in assisting sworn officers in areas of traffic control, to C.P.R. They join six other current members of the auxiliary police.
Seated (L - R) Chief James Winters, Lt. Paul Balch
Standing (L-R) A.P.O. Brad Adams, A.P.O. Jeff Casson, A.P.O. Matt Hoogmoed, A.P.O Robert Kibler, A.P.O.Kevin Walther
Police Auxiliary Chief Honored
to Right: Aux. Chief James Winters, Chief Steven D. Cherry, PBA President
P.O. Frank Riggio
Rock Auxiliary Police Chief James Winters has retired after 32 years of
dedicated service to the Borough. Also
a former member of the Glen Rock Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Chief Winters
joined the Auxiliary Police in 1975 and worked his way through the ranks to
Chief, having succeeded the late John Greve.
members of the regular police force, and auxiliary officers, joined the
Mayor and Borough Council in honoring Chief Winters at the Council's
public meeting on April 25th
Chief Winters was presented a gift and a plaque, from the Borough
and Glen Rock PBA Local # 110 honoring his three decades of selfless
devotion to the residents of Glen Rock.
The members of the Glen Rock Police Department wish Jim the best in his
retirement and his new home in
The members of the Glen Rock Police Department wish Jim the best in his
retirement and his new home in
History of the Glen Rock Auxiliary Police
The Auxiliary Police unit was formed in the 1940's under the Civil Defense operations as a means to assist the Police Department in times of war. Its function was to provide the authorities with trained personnel that could direct the public to shelters and control traffic.
After the war, the roles and responsibilities have changed, however the basic functions of the Auxiliary Police are still the same. The Auxiliary's provide a valuable service to the regular Police Department by providing trained personnel to help control traffic and crowds at civic events and during natural disasters or storm related emergencies.
The Auxiliary Officers patrol the borough on scheduled nights to maintain a greater police presence in an effort to deter criminal activity and provide an increased sense of security. While on patrol, officer are assigned to numerous tasks such as performing security checks of businesses, as well as all borough properties including the schools and parks, in an effort to curb vandalism. If an Auxiliary Officer discovers a situation that requires immediate attention, they are instructed to immediately notify a sworn officer so that the proper action can be taken.
In addition to regular patrol duties, one of the primary functions of today's Auxiliary Officer is to relieve the sworn officers from tasks that do not require their presence, but still need a trained officer to be present to assure the public's safety. The Auxiliary's are dispatched frequently during storms that down large trees and power lines, or to motor vehicle accidents and house fires that necessitate roads be closed or detour be established. These officers may direct traffic or control an intersection when power has gone out and the traffic lights are not functioning. The also assist the Borough by volunteering hours of their own time providing security or assist at pedestrian crossings for numerous public gatherings, such a fairs, football games and parades.
All Auxiliary Officers are required to complete a 54 hour training course at the Bergen County Law and Public Safety Institute in Mahwah, NJ., before being assigned to any duty. At this time, the Glen Rock Auxiliary Police is comprised of only 7 officers, due to the hiring of 10 of Glen Rocks' auxiliary officers to the Mesa, Arizona PD, Hawthorne PD, Ridgewood PD, Tenafly PD, as well as 4 to the Glen Rock Police.
*** Currently the Glen Rock Auxiliary Police have been disbanded. ***
Officer investigating a still found in a resident's basement
The Central Business District at Rock & Glen - Circa
1955 (Looking Northwest)
An aerial photo showing the future locations of the current Fleet Bank, Motorola, Opici Winery and numerous office parks on Harristown Road (West) - Circa 1969 - Also visible is the Walsh Pool Complex (upper right), the Railroad tracks and State Highway 208.
A 1969 newspaper photo showing then Police Officer Jay Green (who retired as a Sgt in 1988) having a 75th Anniversary of the Borough patch being sew onto his uniform my Mrs. Mabel Hubschmitt.
Sgt. Robert Kerrigan (L) Officer Bertram Kerrigan and Captain William Hardenberg (R)-1958
Lt. Steven Cherry (L), Secretary Alice Baker, Disp. Janet Nackson, Disp. Marilyn Meder, Capt. Bertram Kerrigan (R) - 1988
The Glen Rock Municipal Complex in 1957 that is home to the Borough's government offices as well as the police department. To the right and behind the building is where the fire headquarters would be built.
Also visible in the photo is Kilroy's Market (middle left), the former White's Garage (Now Kilroy's warehouse in the upper center) and the Esso gas station (now Maple Rock Exxon in the very top of the photo)